Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Lament of the Indie Author

So quite a while back I posted how I was shocked to find that so many book bloggers would reject reviewing the works of indie authors. I've yet again come across another indie author who has felt the rejection not only from mainstream publishing but from those of who read and review. Melissa Conway posted on her blog all about it and it is well worth the read! http://whimsilly.blogspot.com/2011/09/indie-author-discrimination.html

I've always said that I would read any works by indie authors all they need do is ask. But so many shy away and I've found myself having to actually approach the authors and ask them to review their books. It feels awkward for me to ask as I'm sure it must feel awkward for them to ask someone to review their works. I'll read just about anything (not really into erotica but if asked I'd read it but I'd let the author know before hand that it is not my cup of tea). Heck I've even read things written by high school students! I'm always honest in my reviews but I try never to be cruel. I do find that I am far more harsh when it comes to the mainstream. For example my hatred (yes hatred) of the Twilight books. I don't get them and find them dreadfully boring and they spread the message that a stalker boyfriend is a good thing.  That being said I'm much nicer to the indie authors mainly because A they don't have the exposure that the big guys get and B because they need positive and constructive feedback way more than those who have had editors and major publishing companies read their works.

So with that being said I can only ask my fellow bloggers and readers to consider reading some of the works by the indie author. You'll be surprised at how good some of them are. Yes you'll find some duds. But come on how many times have you bought a book put out by a reputable publisher only to find it to be dreck?  Some of the most well known indie authors/books who have had great success self publishing are Amanda Hocking, Chicken Soup for the Soul, What Color is Your Parachute, Eragon, The Joy of Cooking, Oscar Wilde, Deepak Chopra, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Thoreau, Edgar Allen Poe, Rudyard Kipling, and Upton Sinclair. Time to get over the snobbery and realize that some of the greatest writers of all time self published some of their works!

I once again extend my offer to any indie author to review their work. Again I'll be honest but fair. If I don't like it I'll say why I don't like it but I'll make sure to let you know where you went right. Even if you are a high school student who wrote a short story I'll read it!

No comments: