Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bloggers Beware!

Ah one of the things a blogger has to watch out for is scams. Well, there is a new one that is hitting us bloggers and it affecting those of us from many different countries. I received a "fan" email today from a Mr. Serge Levange. Claiming how he had read my birthday post and then spent an hour on my blog reading it. Considering my birthday post was all of one sentence and a few birthday wishes responses (thanks so much guys!) I highly doubt that would cause someone to read my blog for an hour. He then politely asks me to link up to the site that he works for. A quick internet search showed me that many bloggers are receiving this very same email. Serge is just slightly changing the details so match that persons blog. Some bloggers have fallen for it and have eagerly advertised about the site.  If it seems too good to be true then it is. So fellow bloggers if you get an email from Serge just realize that he is NOT a fan but rather a spam bot. If you ever have a doubt a quick google search will usually help expose said scams. BTW the site he is touting is real however how he is going about getting advertising for said site is despicable. Here is a copy of the email I was sent.



Hello!

I just want to thank you for your wonderful blog mommywantstoread.blogspot.com.

I read the post "Happy Birthday to Me!" and then I spent another hour on your blog by reading your posts with pleasure :) Every article is interesting and easy to read. I really like the "Kicking the Bucket".

I work for Jooble company, we aggregate job adverts around the world.

My job is to persuade bloggers to link to our site.

I really love my job! We have a friendly team and good management, but unfortunately I have no idea how to convince a blogger to link to us, I'm afraid I might lose my job because of it :(

And that is why, instead of sending letters to thousands of different blogs, I am reading yours.

Honestly, I am not really sure if the link to our website in United States - jooble-us.com, will be appropriate for your blog, but if you believe it will and it is possible to add it, I would be really grateful to you! Our site is really cool, it can greatly help hundreds of people to find a job.

I wish you to have a good day and excellent mood! Thanks again for your nice blog. Write more! Thanks!

 
 
Logo JoobleBest regards,

Serge Lavange
Account Manager 

9 comments:

Shirley said...

thanks for the alert! I'll be on the lookout! :) -Shirley

popps said...

Hi Melissa, good afternoon from France - and happy belated birthday!
You dropped into my blog, thanks, hope you come again - 1'm off exploring yours now as i too like to read, though i was a (little) disappointed that Fat Bottom Mum is still waiting for news!!

Unknown said...

LOL fat Bottom mommy is still a work in progress...this mommy can't seem to get off her patootie! LOL

Unknown said...

Oh and Popps don't go telling me you spent an hour and could I please advertise your job site LOL!!!

The Ugly Barn Farm said...

Thanks for the warning! A person can't even blog anymore without some kind of scammer bugging them. :(

popps said...

Job site!!
Ha!
If only.....
No, actually, i don't want a job site!
I'd be happy not having a job if....
Hey, maybe i can just send out serge type begging e-mails!

BookGeek said...

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like he is just looking for backlinks for search engines to rank his site higher. Pretty sad he didn't even do his research first and that YES, it is spam. Ugh. Glad you didn't fall for it!

Valerie Knight said...

I got the same email. It sounded fishy so I googled it and found that he emails a lot of blogs looking for free advertising.

Roni E. said...

Thanks to you posting this I was able to find out for sure that the email I just received was in fact a load of crap. :)
Mine was word for word (with the exception of what "Serge" tailored to my blog) the same email as yours.
Have a wonderful day!

~Roni