Friday, June 12, 2015

Book Review: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Ok so I had meant to read this for Thursday's Tales but like Dorothy in the field of poppies I passed out and took a several hour nap yesterday. Oopsies! To be honest I had thought I had read this book as a child. But about 5 pages in I realized that there was no way I had read this. I guess the movie was just so ingrained in my memories.

I'm not going to give a summary because quite frankly if you don't know what this book is about then you must have literally been living in a cave your entire life. BTW I am reading this as part of the 1001 children's books challenge.

Ok so lets start with saying WOW and WOW. Ok so the book is totally but not completely different from the movie. The biggest difference that one sees right away is the lack of ruby slippers. What? No ruby slippers? That's right perhaps the most iconic image for all of Wizard of Oz did not exist in the books. Instead Dorothy wears slippers made of silver. What else is different you might be wondering? Well, lets say it is a lot more violent and gruesome than the movie. For example the Tinman was originally a real man. But his ax was enchanted and over time he lost body part after body part. Each one replaced with tin. There are also wolves that are beheaded and birds with their necks twisted till they died.

But there were still some things that movie retained such as the yellow brick road, Dorothy's gingham dress, the Wizard of Oz being just a man.

Ok so now it comes down to what I thought of the book. I actually quite enjoyed it but sad to say I think I enjoyed the movie just a tad bit more. I think this is a case of having a classic beloved movie taking up a huge place in my heart. This is one of those cases where I have to love each one separately but being honest with myself the movie wins.

I'm going to go with 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: