Thursday, June 25, 2015

Book Review: Piggies in a Polka by Kathi Appelt

So I needed a break from all those kitty books. So while we were at the library I scooped up this one. I pointed it out to my son and said, "Look! Piggies! Let's add this one to our pile". My son gave me an unsure look that told me without him having to say out loud, "Yeah mom sure. I see there are piggies but piggies are not kitties. Lets look for my kitty books". But being that I'm the mommy I put it on the pile anyway.

Piggies in a Polka is all about the yearly hootenanny for all the piggies. Rhymes abound in this book that teaches different music styles, dance styles (there is a mosh pit!), and different music instruments.

What I liked most about this book were the drawings. It kind of had that 1930s nostalgia feeling to it (minus the racism).  The piggies looked like they were wearing their Sunday best as the swung around and danced till the wee hours of the morning.

My son did well with it despite the fact there was not a cat to be seen. He liked the drawings and liked all the dancing pigs.


3 out of 5 stars



**This book was read with my special needs son who is severely learning disabled. The review reflects not only my opinion but his as well

No comments: