Thursday, June 25, 2015

Book Review: The Stray Dog by Marc Simont

This is the last book that we picked out during our trip to the library. I thought the cover looked interesting and figured my son was due for another dog book.

The book tells the tale of a family who come across a stray dog while they are having a picnic. They leave the dog there but can't stop thinking about the dog when they get home.  When they go back for another picnic they see the dog run past them while a dog catcher chases the dog. The family claim the dog as theirs.

This book was a Caldecott Honor book. To be honest I was expecting a bit more from it. I loved the watercolor drawings but this was almost too simple. While it would be good for beginning readers I was hoping there would be a bit more meat to it as it is based on a true story by Reiko Sassa.

My son enjoyed it more than I did. He liked the picture of the little boy losing his pants after takes off his belt. He thought the dog was cute.

Ok so this is another one where I have to defer to my son's rating. Because I personally was disappointed but my son was not. So...

5 out of 5 stars


**This book was read with my special needs son who is severely learning disabled. The review reflects not only my opinion but his as well

1 comment:

carol said...

We owned this one when Amber was younger. Actually it might still be around here somewhere. We always enjoyed it.