Friday, June 19, 2015

Book Review: Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág

My son, who very well may become a "Crazy Cat Lady" one day, wanted me to read him just one more book yesterday. I was proud that he wanted me to read him so many so I rewarded him with just one more cat book. I picked this one because it is part of the 1001 books challenge.

Millions of Cats tells the story of a lonely little old man and little old lady. The decide a cat is just the thing they need so the little old man sets off to find a cat. He comes upon a hill where there are million, and billions and trillions of cats. He wants to take home the prettiest cat but soon finds he thinks they all are the prettiest and so he takes home with him all of the cats. When he arrives his wife realizes there is no way the could feed all those cats. So the husband makes up his mind to let the cats decide who will stay with them.

OK this is a classic book but I had never heard of it nor seen it before. I loved this and totally saw my son in the little old man. My son would pick every single one because he could never have the heart to leave one behind. However my son would probably try and keep them all.

There was a bit of gruesomeness that might not be appropriate for all children. In it when the old man lets the cats decide they all fight and the next day the have all disappeared and the assume that the cats ate each other (ugh gross). My son didn't seem to notice that part or if he did he didn't even bat an eye. It helps that it had a happy ending (as all children's books should)

The illustrations were wonderful and it was cute to see the millions, and billions, and trillions of cats. My son of course enjoyed it tremendously.

I'm going to have to go with 3 out of 5 just because I'm not a fan of the cats eating each other.



**This book was read with my special needs son who is severely learning disabled. The review reflects not only my opinion but his as well

No comments: