Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Review Life as We Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I've been in a dystopian end of the world mood lately. Mayhap it has to do with the fact that life has been sucking for me lately. You know it is bad when you daydream about a zombie apocalypse and it isn't that you are scared of it but rather that you would welcome it. <sigh> All I can hope is that the economy turns around or that somehow either hubby or I get offered an amazing job. Anyway after reading the description of this book I knew it was perfect one for me to check out.

After an asteroid hits the moon knocking it out of orbit a chain of environmental disasters occurs on earth. Tsunamis wipe out the east and west coasts of the us. Volcanoes continually erupt filling the sky with dark ash. Crazy thunderstorms and snowstorms occur. Teenager Miranda documents it all in her journals. She tells of how her family strives to survive during what seems to be the end of the world.

I really really really enjoyed this book. It was one that had me reading it till I could no longer keep my eyes open at night then first thing in the morning I was back at it reading again. It took a while at first to get used to the diary style of writing but once I got into it it flowed along. I loved the family dynamic. I love how the mother fought the entire time for her family and even stopped eating at times so her children would not have to go without. The whole family had to fight for survival. In the end Miranda is the ultimate hero as *spoiler alert* she goes on a suicide mission to go into town knowing that she most likely will die and not make it back. She ends up saving her family from starvation.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments: