Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review- Walk of the Spirits by Ritchie Tankersley Cusick

When I was a teenager one of my all time favorite authors was Ritchie Tankersley Cusick. She was up on the top of the list with R.L Stein, Christopher Pike, and L. J Smith. So I was pleased to find out that she has kept up with writing and released a couple of books since the 90's.

Walk of the Spirits is about high schooler Miranda. After a hurricane completely destroys her home she and her mother are forced to move in with her Aunt and grandfather. Miranda has never met her grandfather and is forbidden to even speak to him. There are rumors that he is crazy. Miranda is paired up with a group of other students to do a project in one of her classes. They become fast friends and Miranda even starts up a bit of romance with one of them. She also begins to have nightmares and see strange things. Is she crazy like her grandfather or is there more to it....

I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit slow in places and didn't quite have the refinement of some of her earlier works. As always though she does romance right. She always just sprinkles it through out the books but doesn't make it the main focus...which is how I like my romance. The cast of characters are your typical high school stereotypes including the goth chick and the football player. However their playful banter between each other is genuine feeling and had me laughing at parts.  There are some sexual suggestions but nothing overt and certainly appropriate for the age group. I give the book 3 and half out of 5 stars.


Challenges fullfilled
Hogwarts Reading
2011 Reading- To YA

1 comment:

Billie Miller~ *Writer*Poet:*Humanist said...

They were my favorite authors way back then also.