Sunday, February 13, 2011

Review-Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Let me start off by saying this book hop skipped and jumped ahead of all of the books on my TBR list. I even set aside books I was currently reading just to read this book. I read about this book a month or two ago and loved the premise of it. It is a mix of sci-fi, dystopian, and romance.

Amy is a teenager who is frozen along with her parents and other people. They are destined to travel to a new planet to establish a new earth. Amy is prematurely defrosted and awakens on a ship ruled by a man named Eldest. The next in line to lead is Elder and he teams up with Amy. There are so many things that seem wrong with the world created on the ship. Soon people who were  frozen are murdered. It is up to Elder and Amy to figure out who the murderer is. Elder is also left with many questions about what kind of leader he should be and what really is for the greater good.

OK I LOVED this book. The chapters a short and consistently switch between Elder and Amy. This made for a fast paced read. It kept me on the edge of my seat as I kept wanting to know what would happen next. This is classified as a young adult novel but there is a lot of sex in it (nothing graphic but sex is mentioned often in it). That doesn't detract from it at all. I really don't want to put in any spoilers because I just love this book so much and don't want to ruin it for anyone looking to read it. It is fairly predictable and some things you can see coming from the beginning however there are some twists and turns I was not expecting. The book brings up the question of what is best for all. Should one lie to preserve humanity or let humanity know secrets that can cause death and discord. The romance between Amy and Elder is genuine and not rushed. I had originally gotten this book for my KickAss Heroine Reading Challenge. But it doesn't fit into that catagory as much ass I wanted it to. But still I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. This book is perfect for any sci-fi lover.

Challenges Fullfilled
2011 Challege- Will Power? What Will Power?
Whats in a Name 4- Movement
Take a Chance- Bloggers Choice
Hogwarts Challenge- Prefect mini challenge

No comments: