Monday, February 28, 2011

Review- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

In the Harry Potter series this book has not been my favorite. In fact I would say that this one always comes dead last for me. I don't know why. Perhaps it is because it always disturbed me that Ginny was possessed by Tom Riddle. 

Normally I would give a summary here of the book but lets face it if you haven't already read the books you're not going to LOL. This time reading it through I tried to remain cheery and upbeat. One of the best parts of the book is that one of my favorite character's is introduced in this book. That of course being the lovable Doby. Doby who is so different from his fellow house elves. Another one of my favorite characters is introduced and that being Gilderoy Lockhart. So for a book I really don't enjoy it was a pleasure to rediscover the fact that two such great characters are introduced in this book.  OH and Moaning Myrtle who is always good for a laugh!

One of my favorite scenes is when one of Lockhart's pictures still had a curler left in it's hair after it is startled in the middle of the night. Such a great description and small detail that really does show the true nature of this narcissistic character. As always it broke my heart to see Hermione in a frozen state and left out of a huge portion of the book.  Then there is poor Ginny who is nearly destroyed completely by Tom Riddle.  Yes I really think that is the part I hate about the book. There are so many other great scenes and everything but it breaks my heart that two strong female characters are rendered incapacitated in this book (both Ginny and Hermione). This reading through I find myself scoring it higher than usual since I really kept in mind my prejudice in the book and was delighted to see all those scenes and characters that are memorable and lovable.  This time I give it 4 out of 5 stars (normally it is 3 an half stars). 


Challenges Fulfilled
Hogwarts Reading
Harry Potter Challenge

No comments: