Monday, February 14, 2011

Interview With an Aspiring Author- Barachi21

When I first started this blog one of my intentions was to highlight not just well known authors but those who are aspiring to become authors.  In my search I've found some wonderful websites with free books and stories written by hopeful authors. Among those sites are smashwords and wattpad. One of the first stories I've read and has kept me coming back for more is one written by Barachi21 on wattpad. Her story I am a Survivor has me hooked! She was politely agreed to let me interview her. I'm so grateful and I truly hope that you guys check out her work in progress.

How old are you if you don't mind my asking?
 Age: 17 (turning 18 the end of May)

I know you have been writing since a very young age. Do you remember what any of your early stories were about?
Most of my stories when I was younger were about magic.  I had this fascination of controlling magic and being special.  The story I wrote in 6th grade was about me and my friends each owning some sort of power and growing closer because of it.  It's strange in a way because those friends that I wrote about, I realize now, weren't very good friends, and we don't talk anymore.  I read the story and think "Why was I holding onto these girls so much?" 

What author/authors inspire you the most?
Well.  After writing 2 short novels (the sequel to the friend story "The Five Jewels" in 6th grade. 60 chapters was a lot in my eyes), I stopped writing.  I wrote short stories once in a while.  Stories about a puddle capturing souls, or one about a girl running away from home after a horrible fight amongst her parents, and a bit of poetry.  Then I read The Cask of Amontillado and I fell in love with Edgar Allen Poe who taught me that every word counts.  And I became inspired and wrote poetry.  My friend Amanda finally wanted me to write a complete story (not a short story), so I wrote "Hospitalized", followed by "Sepia", then "My MSD", next "Let's Go Back Now", and last "I Am A Survivor."  But... while I wrote these stories I read and learned more.  The two authors that really touched me later and made me strive harder were Zora Neale Hurston and Agatha Christie. But still my all time favorite author is Edgar Allen Poe.  I still go through stories and dissect them as if they'll speak to me.

What are some of your guilty pleasures?
 Guilty Pleasures? Um....chocolate??? I'm confuzzled on this question. (confuzzled= I used to have a speech impediment in 8th grade and I accidentally combined "confused" and "bumfuzzled" together. I said confuzzled and liked the word so much that I now use it on a daily basis.) Oh! guilty pleasure: making up words... like "confuzzled" and "tud".

If you were caught in a cabin for weeks after a blizzard what 3 things would you absolutely need with you?
Stuck in a cabin? Large, thick, warm blanket. Notebook paper with attaching pen full of ink.  And my Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe book.

Do you have any book recommendations? 
Book recommendations? O my.... tons.  Would you like the abbreviated list or complete list... I'm serious.  I even broke it up into age groups.  I'll send it to you if you'd like.

When you are not in school or writing where can you be found?
Unfortunately, I am mostly at work because I have my car payment, insurance, and gas to pay for. But suppose I'm not at work, I would most likely be in my room reading a new book with my scrap writings strewn around me, my overflowing drawing book open, my computer on with Word open and half a page of new writing, and my cat trying to lay on my lap.  Yeah... sounds like me.

What is your favorite book/books?
 Favorite books? Long list or short list? 1,001 Nights (Arabian Nights), A Child Called "It," Among the Hidden (series), And Then There Were None, Don't You Dare Read This Mrs. Dunphrey, Fahrenheit 451, Inkheart (series), The Little Prince, Pride and Prejudice, The Count of Monte Cristo (Unabridged), The Giver (series), The Great Gatsby, Their Eyes were Watching God, and Undiluted Minds. (This does not include the amazing writing from the writing sites that I have been on or the short stories I've read.)

Lastly, what is the worst book you have ever read?
The absolute worst book I ever read is called Follow the Blue by Brigid Lowry.  There was seemingly no point to the story.  Quick Synopsis: Main character's younger sister loses pet gerbil.  Main character meets boy she likes.  Main character loses virginity to boy's best friend.  Absolutely nothing redeemable in the story. 

No comments: