Thursday, July 28, 2011

Vacation Review- Shady Maple Smorgasbord

                                 
Lancaster is full of Smorgasbords (buffets). The two most popular are Shady Maple and Millers. In the past I've been to Millers and love it. This time around I tried Shady Maple for the first time. We went there for breakfast one morning. Instantly we fell in love and came back for one dinner and one more breakfast.The price was great!

Shady Maple is HUGE. They have multiple stations full of yummy foods. For breakfast they have several grilling stations that make things like eggs Benedict and custom made omelets. There is even a grill station where they make pancakes. There are plenty of drink stations with tons of drink options. Milk, coffee, juice, cappuccino, soda, tea, even have a couple of those Freeze machines full of icy drinks.  Hubby tried one of their jelly donuts and proclaimed it was the best jelly donut he has ever had! All different kinds of sausage (the turkey cheese one was hubby's and my favorite). Lots of crisp bacon and all different kinds of potatoes. Donuts galore and a few desert items. TONS of  fresh fruit including watermelon, grapes, bananas, oranges, pineapple etc.  There were a few dishes I avoided like scrapple. They had lots of buttered toast with a nice variety of breads including bagels. Fortunately my 3 year old was free because he decided to be picky. His favorite item was when I grabbed him a box of honey nut cheerios.

As to the dinner experience we all agreed breakfast was better but still enjoyed dinner. We went monday night where they have steaks and smoked pork chops at the grills. I tried the Delmonico and my husband had a pork chop. The pork chop was more like ham than a chop. The steak was thin but juicy. I ordered it medium rare and got medium well. It had a bit of gristle to it but was a nice huge piece I was given. My carnivorous side tore through it. The fried chicken was AMAZING! I also really loved the mac and cheese and gobbled up a huge salad full of my favorite ingredients (only thing they didn't have that I missed was blue cheese). They had baked potatoes that were yummy. OH and the deserts were something to behold. Shoofly pie, whoopie pies (my stepdaughter's and my favorite), and two Ice cream bars serving Turkey Hill Ice Cream with tons of toppings to put on top.

After all of this chowing down make sure you run downstairs to check out their GIGANTIC gift shop. I've never been in a gift shop this huge. I picked up a bonnet for my niece for only $6. They bathrooms...well here was the hitch. In the morning they were nice and clean and well stocked. However after a full day of thousands of people running in and out the bathroom was disgusting. Think of a truck stop... Toilet paper all over the place, half the toilets clogged, trash overflowing from the garbage holes next to the sinks, no paper towels in site and slimy water all over the sinks. Not to mention the classic woman squats to pee but doesn't bother to wipe up her tinkle. If you pee on the seat clean it up please! You are so worried about your health but don't give a damn about others? ARGH, talk about huge pet peeve of mine. The purel dispensing machine was out but there was one a couple of feet away from the bathrooms that I was able to use.

For the buffet itself I give the breakfast buffet 5 out of 5 stars. The dinner buffet 4 out of 5. As for the bathrooms I give them a rating of 1 out of 5 stars.

No comments: