Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Etsy Shop Profile- CutieMonster

Talk about a shop the specializes in something different. Based out of San Diego CA shop owner Katie enjoys...well making monsters. But these monsters are cute. You can't help but fall in love with them. She plays around with bright colors and faux fur is flying all throughout her shop. Through in a tentacle here and there and some scented shimmering powder and you've the got recipe for pure fun. You can keep up to date with Cutie Monster through Twitter, Facebook, and through her blog. You can also view her personal portfolio at sundbergcreative.com


You have some very unique items in your shop! Where do you come up with your ideas for them?
I get my ideas from a wonderful little disorder called ADHD. I'll be working on something completely mundane, when my mind leaves the task completely and says things like, "what if powder puffs had eyes?" and, "what kind of bracelets do werewolves wear?" Or, maybe, I'll be doodling in the margin of something important and say, "hey, those tentacles would make cool earrings." Creativity often comes to me when I should be doing something else, like working or sleeping.


What is your favorite item in your shop?

I think my favorite item is the monster cuff. It's exactly the kind of thing I love - it's fuzzy, it has jingly pieces and chains, and it stands out from the crowd. When I was in high school, I would have done anything to have something like this in a local store; my style was all about playful pieces, and being able to play with my jewelry was always a big bonus. 

How long have you been creating your little monsters?
The specific monsters in my shop I've only been making for a few months, but I've always been creating monsters. When I was little, I made them out of pipe cleaners and beads and clay, when I was in art school I drew them in the margins of my notes or created them from scrap pieces from serious projects. I used to make fancy ballgowns or coats for my toy dinosaurs, which are only a step away from being monsters, anyway. I think what I like about monsters is that they can be anything you want to be; they don't have rules. They're the perfect place for creativity to start.

                                                                                                                          What are your future plans for your shop?
I'm going to be branching out to a few different places with my shop soon; there will still be monsters, but I'm developing ideas for costume pieces as well as avant-garde accessories made from recycled materials - can't say too much about it yet! I also look forward to someday being able to sell my stuff in a physical store (or stores), to make unique handmade accessories more accessible to teens and young adults who share my love for the cute and slightly monstrous. I wouldn't ever consider selling to a shop like Hot Topic as selling out - as a teen, even though I knew it was a bit contrived, I didn't have much access to stores that sold anything but run-of-the-mill popular style. It was nice to be able to catch a ride to the mall and be able to add something a little different to my wardrobe. I didn't have any way to buy online at the time, so it was the best I could do. If I could give teens some quality alternative pieces they could pick up from a physical store,                                                                                                that would be awesome; I'd love to encourage self- expression and                                                                                                                playfulness with fashion.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Her things are too cool!